CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Thank you for your interest in submitting to Sisu Magazine! We are an incredible small team so it often times takes us very long to get back to you. A few things of note when submitting to Sisu:
1) Please ensure that you have read our magazine and are familiar with our tone and style.
2) Submissions are always open and we do accept unsolicited submissions outside of calls.
3) We’re looking experienced writers, photographers, and artists. You will need to include links of your previous work, portfolio, and/or website in the submission.
4) Works by and about women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented people are especially welcome.
5) Due to the high volume of submissions, we are moving toward a model of publishing on-line in addition to our quarterly print magazines.
6) We consider all submissions thoughtfully, but are not able to respond to every query. If we are interested in your piece, we will get back to you within six weeks. If you do not hear from us, please know we appreciate you thinking of us and wish you the best of luck with your work.
Please submit your idea in the form below.
Here are some general guidelines on submissions, but we don't like rules so feel free to get creative.
::: Non-fiction submissions: We are looking for acutely observed, rigorously researched, and exceptionally written reportage, personal essays, critical essays, and “how to” pieces. Non-fiction submissions have no fixed length, but we tend to publish pieces around 2500 words for reportage, and 500 - 1000 for all other categories. These should be five to ten minute reads for the latter and 20 to 25 minute reads for the former.
::: Travel/adventures pieces: We are looking for untold stories about travel and adventure in line with our theme. We are looking for pieces that are 500 - 1000 words with at least two high resolution, compelling photographs to accompany the piece. This should be a five to ten minute read.
::: Equipment and fashion: We are looking for the latest trends in equipment and fashion made by brands big and small who embody the spirt of Sisu. You are welcome to submit your product for review by the Sisu team.
::: Features on activists/artists/athletes/entrepreneurs/change makers: Know someone who should be featured in our this edition? We are looking for untold stories about activists, artists, athletes, entrepreneurs, and/or change makers to be featured in pieces that are 500 words each with at two high resolution, compelling photographs to accompany the article. This should be a five minute read.
::: Art submissions: We are looking for original artwork that embodies our theme, ideally a collection that delights readers with four full page pieces.
::: Photography submissions: We are looking for original photographs that embody the freedom of the outdoors with a feminist and inclusive energy. Accompanying captions should relate to the theme.
::: Poetry: Writers may submit one to five previously unpublished poems of no more than 120 lines each.